No one likes stress. One of the biggest stressors that we all have is our jobs and right now, most people are working from home and are trying to live their lives while stuck at a computer. The best way to ensure that we have a good time doing it is by knowing that we have a good employer working with us – but these are few and far between. Every single person who has been a part of the working world can point out the exact boss that they had that made their life harder. During a pandemic, you need to know that you have your boss by your side, and a boss that understands your need for flexibility, for fitting work around life and not life around work? That’s a boss worth hanging onto.
Every single person working from home is trying to get by while homeschooling their kids and it’s not easy. You need a boss who will get it, who will treat you as if you know what you are doing – which you do! While it’s important to recognise a rubbish boss, it’s equally as important to know the good traits of a boss, and in this article we’ve got ten signs you have an epic person in charge rather than a rubbish one who makes you feel bad about what you do day to day. Let’s take a closer look.
- They’re Honest. There is a big difference between honesty and being brutal and you want a boss who is an honest person. Any good boss is honest in everything that they do and without honesty, there is no trust between you, which dilutes the relationship right down. If someone is honest, they have much more integrity and they are better to get along with. While you work from home, you won’t necessarily be working a standard 9-5, and you need a boss who is going to be honest about their expectations as well as honest about consequences if work isn’t done on time.
- Resourceful. There’s nothing worse than a boss who places you at home to work and then doesn’t come through with the right resources to help you to reach those goals. Managers have to hire employees who are already talented in what they do, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t have a habit of asking existing employees to go above and beyond. There’s nothing wrong with that, as long as a manager is providing the right resources to get the job done well. If your manager is someone who is happy to provide the coaching you need, you know you have a good manager who is willing to go above and beyond for you!
- They’re Flexible. A good boss is one who sees what you are doing day to day and gives you time to do it all. That amazing trip you want to take but never have time for? They could work with you to adjust your work around your ability to travel – that’s a boss who has it all. This flexibility may not be common of all bosses, but it’s common for those who understand that there is more to life than a job. If You want to go beyond your day to day at work, talk to your boss. Their flexibility will give them the respect that most bosses don’t get – and you benefit as a result.
- They Care! This is such an important trait in any boss: they need to care. A boss that offers the right benefits along with being a good person is a boss who knows that you are giving as much of your time and energy as possible. You can learn more about what benefits a good boss gives to their staff, but mostly you should be able to trust your boss to look after you. If you are getting help with dental, eyeglasses, health insurance and gym membership as a result of how much your boss cares, you’re going to be far better off. Take a look at what your current boss is offering you – salary isn’t everything!
- They Motivate You. Your boss has to be able to inspire and motivate you to the right outcome and that means you need a boss who can listen to you. If they can listen to you, figure out what interests you and help you to identify opportunities for growth, you’re going to be able to capitalise on your strengths and be a better employee as a result. Motivation is everything when it comes to staying focused from home, and the right boss should be able to give that to you without issue!
- They’re Trusting. There’s a good indication that you have a good boss when your boss has your professional interests at heart. Bosses who trust their employees to make the best choice are those who are able to empower them, and this is the kind of boss you want to have. If you know that your direct manager has your best interests at heart, you know that you’re going to be able to work better and stronger as a result. Being trusted is a good way to relax in the workplace – you can bet that they will be looking to ensure that you are happy!
- They’re Communicative. A good boss is one who doesn’t do silent treatment and ignorance. They’re the boss that will talk out if there is an issue and they won’t make you walk on eggshells. We all have weaknesses, and a boss who is happy to deliver feedback and talk you through an issue rather than bark at you? That’s a boss you want to have!
- They’re Understanding. While the pandemic is going on, you may be able to step away from work to deal with the kids from time to time, and that’s not always easy to do. There is a certain level of panic in employees that they will lose their jobs if they aren’t spending all of their time working. Speak to your boss. A good one is one who works with you to rearrange your day properly instead of making you feel like you should panic for needing to respond to the kids.
- They’re Self-Aware. A boss who openly apologises for their own weaknesses is a boss worth having. A good leader is someone who can see where they are going wrong, apologise for mistakes that they make and take the time to work a different way. If a boss is self-aware enough to be as human as you are, they’re a boss worth hanging onto.
- Compassion. A boss who is willing to learn what you need – both practical and personal – is a boss with compassion. You need someone on your side who will be able to take care of your needs including ensuring you can see your screen to work! The right benefits that include eyeglasses will help here, and great leaders are those who offer compassion and praise where it’s due. They can also offer you the right support no matter what’s going on in your life. They understand that there is a lot going on in life and it won’t be good stuff all the time. If you want a good boss, you need a boss with these ten traits to ensure that you aren’t left feeling unsupported and like you are wasting your time.
Leave a Reply